In this post I am going to talk about what some of the major characters in the play represent, discuss the plot development as well as some symbolization I noticed.
They're not many characters in this book but each character is very important to the structure of the story line. Willy, of course, is the main character of this book. Through reading, I have noticed that he has a lot of problems with his image and self actualization. His life is in ruins and he fails to recognized that his job, family and medical problems are setting him back. Willy doesn't realize the truth of his life until the end, and at this point he is about to commit suicide. I also think Willy is a hero. Not a normal hero like Hercules or Super Man, but more of an accidental hero, in my opinion. I think he causes the family to stress and fight because he is such a difficult person, but when he dies I feel like he "saves" his family from all of their problems because he was the base of them. This I think is why at his funeral, Linda, his wife, is kneeling next to his grave saying "We're free..."
Happy, the younger son of Willy and Linda has always lived in the shadow of his older brother and can't seem to accept the fact that his father never gave him the attention he craved. It's quite interesting that Willy gave all the attention to Biff, because Happy is a lot like Willy and Biff is not. Willy and Happy both suffer from false expectations and can't accept the reality of their lives. I think Happy is living a life based on his father's because of the fact that he has always been second best and has more of a desire to please his dad. His name, I figure, is an oxymoron. Happy has a job and seduces plenty of woman yet he still isn't happy. He is living like his father and if he continues on the same path as him then I think he will end up like Willy did, dead and lonely.
Biff, the older son and the other main character is different from these two because in the story he is trying to find the truth about himself and his family. His brother and dad cannot accept their failures and truths, unlike Biff who confronts his problems at the end. Biff is also the only character in the book that I recognized show'd some real personal development...Everyone else remains pretty static through the play. Up to the point where Biff caught Willy cheating on Linda, I think Biff never thought of his father as flawed, but after, he didn't look up to him as much which I believe is why Biff turned out differently from Willy and Happy.
Linda, wife of Willy and mother to Biff and Happy is as I described before the anchor for Willy, but was also the subject to many of the emotional problems that Willy and Biff have. Not that she caused them, but the situation they broke apart because of dealt with Linda. She is also the one that remains sane through it all.
No comments:
Post a Comment