As I talked a little about before, Willy had an affair with a woman who remained nameless in the book. Not only did this show Willy's ungratefulness towards Linda, but also one of the main factors that ruined Biff and Willy's relationship. Biff saw Willy and his mistress together. This made Biff realize that the hero he had seen his dad as, for so many years was phony. Not only did this one scene ruin their relationship, but also Biff's success in life. Since Biff had looked up to his dad for so many years, this made him want to be nothing like his dad and so he gave up on going to school and making it big just like his dad wanted.
During this story, it seems both Biff and Willy are trying to recreate themselves. They both are trying to get jobs at this point in the play and both interviews seem to crash through the roof. As I get closer to end, Willy seems very self righteous to me. When his interview for his job fails and he gets fired, his old friend Charley offers him and job. Willy won't take it, even though he desperately needs the money. I think the reason he won't take it is because as a man, he wants to do everything himself, without anyones help. After the job interviews are done, Willy, Happy and Biff meet up for dinner. Biff wants to tell Willy the truth about his job interview going all wrong but Happy, always trying to make Willy happy, tells Biff to lie, just to cheer Willy up. The stories get all mixed up and ends with Willy getting horribly mad. The sons leave the restaurant with two ladies, leaving an angry, hallucinating Willy talking aloud while replaying memories in his head. When the boys get home later that night and Willy is safe in bed Linda demands Biff and Happy to leave her house. In my opinion, I think she is lashing out on the boys because she is so frustrated with Willy and his behavior that she needs someone to take it out on.
The play quickly draws to the close that same night. At the end, Willy wakes up from bed and begins arguing with Biff. The argument goes on and on until Biff starts crying over Willy. At this point, I could really tell how important Willly is to Biff and how much he affected Biff's life. Even Willy realizes it at this point too. I thought the story was finally turning around, maybe to a brighter, joyful scene, but instead it took a left turn and went completely down hill... Willy is talking to his dead brother, Ben when suddenly real life comes into perspective for Willy and Ben disappears. This moment in the play was a little confusing but I think what was happening is that finally coming back into reality after all this time scared Willy and Willy killed himself by car to get away from all the sounds and movements of the actual world. His death wasn't like I foreshadowed. At his funeral not many people came unlike the salesman he inspired to live and die like. I thought this part was really heartbreaking because it made me realize just how much Willy worked and how all his effort didn't get him anywhere. He also had a vision for himself and it didn't turn out at all how he expected it to. I think Linda, Biff and Happy are all sad, but relieved at the end to be away from Willy and all his problems. As the play comes to an end, Linda is crying at his grave saying "We're free..."
No comments:
Post a Comment